Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 9

Day 9: Love makes good impressions - "Whatever is in your heart determines what you say." (Luke 6:45 NLT)



Isn't that verse true? How many times do we just speak our mind and heart without thinking first? If you have disdain in your heart, do you often say hateful things? Of course you do. I know I do. We're human. First impressions are lasting impressions. Not just the first time you meet someone, but the minute you walk in the door at home, too. If you are polite and kind to your spouse as soon as you walk in, doesn't it set the tone for the rest of the evening. If I walk in and immediately roll my eyes because the dishwasher isn't empty like I asked, I can assure you that the mood for the rest of the night will be one of negativity and petty arguments. Guaranteed.



Day 9 Dare: Think of a specific way you’d like to greet your spouse today. Do it with a smile and with enthusiasm. Then determine to change your greeting to reflect your love for them.


U
sually when I come home from work, I'm running in the door, dropping my bags, kids, shoes, coats, papers, etc in the floor quickly so I can run in and go to the bathroom. Half the time, I don't even say hello to Matt. Today was a little out of the ordinary because I had a meeting at daycare after work. I'm on the Parent Advisory Board and the meeting lasted until about 7:30. It was about 8:00 when I got home last night, which is about an hour past Katie's bedtime. Both kids were in a good mood and for some reason, I didn't have as much stuff in my arms when I walked in the door. I put everything down, said hello to Matt, gave him a hug and kiss. Then, I proceeded to do all the normal stuff. It was the first impression of a loving greeting that set the tone for our evening. After putting the kids to bed, we just sat in the living room and watched a little TV. It was nice for me to be able to relax with Matt since my house was cleaned yesterday and I am caught up on my laundry. I had nothing that HAD to be done tonight. It was a pleasant evening and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's dare.


Lord, thank you again for a pleasant evening. I'm up for this challenge and my heart is 100% invested. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Hey girl..I'm proud of you! These blog entries are awesome! Is Matt still wondering what you are wanting? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring Stephanie. If Chuck ever gets home from Arizona I might have to try this. I could probably benefit. Thanks for being so open and vulnerable. God is surely using you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I wanted to do yesterday when I got home was have some alone time with my man.

    Well I got home and he was watching "NCIS" like he has everyday for like the past 3 weeks! UGH.....It immediately soured me because I am just so over watching it every single day when I get home. Then I started telling myself that I just want to watch one of my girl shows or cooking shows or something so I went in the other room and after seeing nothing else on tv, came right back out and watched it with him. Then our normal post work exchange started and I have to admit, I felt a little bad inside knowing I was being such a brat.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.