Friday, February 20, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 11

Day 11: Love cherishes - “Husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies” – Ephesians 5:28



To me, this means that you should look at and love your spouse like he/she is part of you. When we get married, we become one. Growing up, my dad always told my sister and me, “speak nicely of your sister as she is part of your family. What you say about her is a reflection of you.” I think the same thing holds true of your spouse. Treat your spouse as you would want to be treated. Speak highly of him. What you say about your spouse behind her back is a direct reflection of you. You chose to marry this person. At some point, you chose to love this person for better or for worse. Cherish the good things and overlook the not so good. Cherish your time together for only God knows what moment will be your last.


Day 11 Dare: What need does your spouse have that you might meet today? Can you run an errand? Give a back rub or foot massage? Is there housework you could help with? Choose a gesture that says, “I cherish you” and do it with a smile.


Today was difficult for me. Matt isn't a really "needy" person. We were supposed to go to dinner at a friend of mine's house. She ended up having to take her mom to the emergency room, so since we already had a babysitter, we decided to go to Ruby Tuesday for dinner. We had nice conversation and a relaxing evening. He and I enjoyed each other's company thoroughly and since we weren't in hurry to eat (the kids spent the night with his mom and dad) we were able to just sit at the table after dinner and talk. We talked about our jobs (as much as he is allowed to tell me about his), our kids, our families, the economy, our impending Vegas trip, etc. I asked him if there was anything he needed me to do when we got home and he said he couldn't think of anything. I pondered and pondered and just couldn't come up with anything. I asked him later if I could give him a backrub and he said he didn't need one. Oh well. Maybe I will get an opportunity to do something for him tomorrow since we'll be together all day.


Lord, thank you for a wonderful evening alone with my husband. I do cherish him and our time together. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.