Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 15

Day 15: Love is honorable – “Live with your wives in an understanding way…and show her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life.” - 1 Peter 3:7


H
onoring our spouses is something that should be done on a daily basis…not only in their presence, but when we are away from them, too. There is nothing I despise more than someone talking negatively about his/her spouse. I cringe when someone tells me all the negative things about their spouse and doesn’t tell me one single, positive thing. Come on, tell me one thing. Think back to the reasons you married him/her. Why did you choose to love and marry that person? I know the day to day reality sets in and we forget about all of those things, but we must honor our spouse by NOT saying negative things about them…either to their face or behind their back. Honoring your spouse can be just turning off the TV when she wants to talk or getting off the phone when he comes home from work. It’s the little things that go such a long way!



Day 15 Dare:
Choose a way to show honor and respect to your spouse that is above your normal routine. It may be holding the door for her. It might be putting his clothes away for him. It may be the way you listen and speak in your communication. Show your mate that he or she is highly esteemed in your eyes.


T
oday’s dare came naturally to me. There again, since Day One it has been much easier for me to do the “little things” because my negativity has diminished to nearly nothing. By not snapping at Matt when I’m grouchy or by talking to him with ears that are really listening to what he has to say, I’m honoring him. I know he is not a perfect person and it’s not always easy to show honor to someone at all times, but these last two weeks have been phenomenal. It’s amazing to me how by me choosing to honor him in the small, everyday things, I’m really making it a habit of honoring him in the big picture. I didn't do anything specific for today's dare. I feel like that it's becoming a habit for me to honor Matt. He can tell I’ve changed…I know he can.



Lord, again I come to you with a heart on fire for You and for my marriage. In all my life, I have never given all my effort to something so worthwhile and I can feel it changing me and others around me. Thank You, thank You, thank You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.