Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 17

Day 17: Love promotes intimacy - "He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends." - Proverbs 17:9


It's so important to be intimate with our spouse. This isn't just physical intimacy, but also emotional intimacy which is sometimes so difficult. I really can't say this any better than The Love Dare book says it, so I'll quote from it: "Each of us comes into life with an inborn hunger to be known, loved, and accepted. We want people to know our name, to recognize us when they see us, and to value who we are. The prospect of sharing our home with another person who know us down to the most intimate detail is part of the deep pleasure of marriage." pg. 81. See? I told you I couldn't say it any better. It's true though...the deep pleasure of marriage is not physical at all. It's just knowing that someone knows you all the way down to the innermost depths of your heart. I'm glad to give that to Matt. He is the only one other than God that knows me so well. I pray that God leaves him here on earth for years and years to be my companion.


Day 17 Dare: Determine to guard your mate's secrets (unless they are dangerous to them or to you) and to pray for them. Talk with your spouse, and resolve to demonstrate love in spite of these issues. Really listen to them when they share personal thoughts and struggles with you. Make them feel safe.

M
att was out of town on business today and I accidentally almost missed this dare. Somehow, I skipped Day 17 last night when reading the book and thank goodness I looked back over it this morning before leaving for work. Today's dare didn't actually require that Matt be here, so I almost skipped a day without need!

A
ctually, guarding Matt's secrets come very easily to me. Matt doesn't really hesitate letting me know how he feels about certain things, people, events, etc. I also know that he expects me to keep the feelings he shares with me between the two of us. I have never, ever, ever felt the need to share his thoughts with anyone else. While I don't always agree with Matt, I love him in spite of those disagreements. That shows that I choose to love Matt. I choose him. Always.


Lord, help Matt to remember that he can completely trust me. I will always keep his secrets as part of my promise to love him. Thank you for such a wonderful man. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.