Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 13

Day 12: Love fights fair – “If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand.” – Mark 3:25


H
ow hard is it to fight fair? I’m probably the queen of fighting dirty and it’s a constant battle within me not to do this. I try to remember that words cannot be taken back. Why would I want to say things that would hurt my spouse? Just because I’m hurting over something that has been said or done to me, doesn’t give me the right to turn around and hurt my spouse. It’s not fair. It does not make me the better person by doing this. It does not do anything to build up the other person. All it does is create more hurt and drive a wedge under the foundation of our marriage. Why on earth would I do that? I’m human. We’re sinners. It’s in our very nature. That’s why.



Day 12 Dare:
Talk with your spouse about establishing healthy rules of engagement. If your mate is not ready for this, then write out your own personal rules to “fight” by. Resolve to abide by them when the next disagreement occurs.


S
ince Matt doesn’t know about the dare, I chose to write my own list. It’s not a long list, but it’s an important list. I will share it with you:

1. Do not speak in a negative tone to Matt

2. Do not raise your voice

3. Do not allow emotions to override rational thought

4. Listen to Matt before interjecting

5. Listen with understanding when my own faults are brought into light

I’m burning this list into my memory so that when the next disagreement occurs, I will be more than prepared to do my part in fighting fair.


Lord, I cannot thank You enough for the strength you have given me thus far. Please put Your hand upon me and help me to continue to do Your will. I want more than anything to strengthen my marriage for Your glory, but also to encourage others. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.