Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 29



Day 29: Love’s motivation – Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not me..." - Ephesians 6:7



It’s easy to get distracted from the true reasons that we love our spouse. We should love them as Christ loved us. Do you love your wife because she always cooks dinner and does the laundry? Do you love your husband because he keeps the grass mowed and the weeds pulled? These are selfish reasons to love someone. Or, do you love your spouse because that’s what God commands us to do? This is the kind of love that will endure. What is your real motivation? Sure, it’s easier to be around our spouses when they are loveable, but what about the times they aren’t? Whew…sometimes it’s very difficult. And continuing the Dare from Day 1, restraining from using negative words can become increasingly difficult during those times. But, if we love and serve each other with God’s love as the source, it will become easier, more fulfilling and deeper than we can ever imagine.



Day 29 Dare: Before you see your spouse again today, pray for them by name and for their needs. Whether it comes easy for you or not, say “I love you,” then express love to them in some tangible way. Go to God in prayer again, thanking Him for giving you the privilege of loving this one special person – unconditionally, the way He loves both of you.



Today, I prayed for Matt several times. When I had a quiet moment in car by myself, I prayed. When I was between emails at work, I prayed. When I was lying in bed with the lights off, I prayed. As I lay in bed after Matt was asleep, I had my leg touching him and I prayed for his needs, hoping that he would feel the prayer even in his sleep. I tell him I love him as often as I can and it comes sincerely and easily.



Lord, thank You for Matt. I pray today for his needs and that You might meet those needs for him. Thank You for allowing me to be married to him and help that love to grow deeper and wider than imaginable. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.