Friday, March 6, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 25

Day 25: Love forgives - "What I have forgiven, if I have fogiven anything, I did it for your sakes in the presence of Christ." - 1 Corinthians 2:10

W
hew...forgiveness is so hard for most of us. Fortunately, I'm a very forgiving person. I've always thought it was one of my faults, but really the more I think about it, it's a very good virtue to have. Some people can't or won't forgive even the smallest things. The Bible commands us to forgive each other. "Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you" (Ephesians 4:32). If we can't forgive our spouse, who can we forgive? No one. Our spouse is the person closest to us and if we can't start with them, our hearts will be heavy. Can you imagine setting your spouse free of anything that he/she has done, irritated you with, said to you, not done, etc? I mean completely setting him/her free. What a burden it will lift from us and our hearts!


Day 25 Dare:
Whatever you haven’t forgiven in your mate, forgive it today. Let it go. Just as we ask Jesus to “forgive us our debts” each day, we must ask Him to help us “forgive our debtors” each day as well. Unforgiveness has been keeping you and your spouse in prison too long. Say from your heart, “I choose to forgive.”

I
had to really think hard for what I needed to forgive Matt. I honestly couldn't think of anything for the longest time. I can be so mad at him one minute and then completely forgive and forget the next. It's just in my nature. So today, I'm setting him free from anything that I'm harboring deep in my heart. Things that might not be at the front of my mind today, but might try to come to the surface later. I will be on guard for anything that might show up. Now I say, "Matt, I choose to forgive."


Lord, thank you again for this wonderful opportunity to deepen my love for my spouse. It's getting more challenging, but also more rewarding and I appreciate what it has done for us so far. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. forgiveness is such a big part of relationships! Especially since some things we get worked up over don't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

    I still struggle from time to time but I would consider myself a very forgiving person and have thought the same as far as that it may be a fault.

    It is so freeing when you think of it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.