Saturday, March 7, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 26

Day 26: Love is responsible - "When you judge another, you condemn yourself, since you, the judge, do the same things." - Romans 2:1


Wow - another hard day. Personal responsibility. Do you struggle with this like I do? I hate to be embarrassed or have to take responsibility for something I have done wrong. But, I do it. It's certainly not always easy, but I'm the first to admit if I've messed something up at work. It's so much easier to deal with the consequences now instead of lying or trying to cover up our mistakes. Why not take responsibility for something we have done right away and be released from the burden instead of carrying it around with us? It's much easier said than done, I know. But, I'm recommitting myself to doing this on a daily basis - not just in my marriage, but in life. Please join me. We'll respect each other so much more.


Day 26 Dare: Take time to pray through your areas of wrongdoing. Ask for God’s forgiveness, then humble yourself enough to admit them to your spouse. Do it sincerely and truthfully. Ask your spouse for forgiveness as well. No matter how they respond, make sure you cover your responsibility in love. Even if they respond with criticism, accept it by receiving it as counsel.


W
e all do many things wrong. It's just part of being human and being sinners. The hardest thing is to ask for forgiveness when we have done something that hurt someone. To me, there is no need in dwelling on the past, but for others, it's not so easy. Honestly, I can't think of anything that I need to ask Matt for forgiveness for at this point. We tend to deal with issues as they arise, then forgive and forget. However, I'm taking this dare one step further and I'm making a point of asking for forgiveness immediately when I've done something to upset anyone, especially Matt. We haven't had much tension since I started the Love Dare, but I have to constantly remind myself not to say anything negative...constantly. I'm trying to take responsibility for my actions and asking for forgiveness right away.


Lord, thank You for Your forgiveness. Help me to be as forgiving as You. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.