Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Love Dare - Day 31

Day 31: Love and marriage - A man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. Genesis 2:24


Sometimes this is much, much easier said than done…especially if you marry young without having been on your own before marriage. It can be so difficult for a person to leave the parents who have provided so many things (emotional support, a roof overhead, food, etc.) and completely and totally cleave to the person he/she is marrying. We need to depend on our spouse for that support. How many times after first getting married did you want to call and “tattle-tale” on your spouse? Some people do that even after years of marriage. I have found that it gives me no satisfaction to degrade Matt, so I don’t. Plain and simple. God’s design for marriage is for us to be united together. Not dependent on our moms and dads.


Day 31 Dare:
Is there a “leaving” issue you haven’t been brave enough to conquer yet? Confess it to your spouse today, and resolve to make it right. The oneness of your marriage is dependent upon it. Follow this with a commitment to your spouse and to God to make your marriage the top priority over every other human relationship.


Fortunately, this has not been much of an issue in our marriage. Matt has always been able to provide for me in every way since getting married. Neither of us had ever lived away from our parents, so we are truly blessed that the leaving has not been one of our trials. I’ve never had to ask my parents for money, call them to say we didn’t have food in the cabinet, call them when my car needed repaired, etc. It is truly a blessing to us and I’m thankful to God that he has allowed Matt and I to be completely independent of our parents (although we love them and appreciate their offers of support) and dependent upon each other.


Lord, thank You for parents that love me enough to let me go. Thank You for a wonderful husband that loves me enough to accept me and take care of me. Thank You for designing marriage the way that you did. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments of support and encouragement and welcome your thoughts. If you know of someone that might benefit from my adventure, please forward them a link.